So one of the forums that I am on pointed me to this article. It’s about how many dog toys are made in China and how many of them contain toxic ingredients.
Anyways, that article pointed my way to a couple of make your own dog toy sites.
Fleece tug ropes and dishtowel tugs.
This of course led me to search the web for other dog toys one can make at home. Ideas include these:
- paper towel roll and peanut butter — I’d have to wonder about the safety of this for a dog, but for rats and mice…..what a lovely idea.
- Tennis ball tug and toss.
- Sock toys
- variety of ideas here. The whipwhir sounds like something my dog Sassy would like
NOTE: not my own instructions, Kept off a list that I used to be on a while back.
First, the warnings:
1. Never leave the dog unattended with any toy if it is a heavy chewer. Even Kongs can splinter and shred and cause illness or injury.
2. The industrial Kongs (black tire material) are much better for heavy chewers/tuggers.
*To make your own toy:
Buy 2 small-medium Kong toys, I’m talking the black heavy duty medium size.
With a hacksaw, carefully cut off some of the top to create a larger hole.
Buy 2 yards of fake fleece material, the synthetic sheepskin. It will be 40-60″ wide. Cut it the long way, into 72″ long strips, about 3″ wide each.
Take the 3 strips,hold them together and tie a knot in one end. Then braid. About 8″ down, tie a knot. Feed the ends (the unbraided, unknotted ends) through the KONG you modified, then tie another knot to hold it all snug.
About a foot from the end, tie another knot. Slide the ends through the second modified KONG, knot. Finish braiding to the end, and knot.
Now you have a tug the dog can really sink his teeth into. The synthetic sheepskin is very durable, the kongs add weight and a better grip for a large mouthed dog.
Okay: check out this blog for making your own tennis ball tug and toss and this one for making a sock ball sock for your dog. That last one made me think of one of my Sassy’s favourite toys when she was little. Two or three old socks NOT WASHED, and knotted together in a row. FUN FUN!