As I trial predominately in AAC style agility, I don’t ever see this obstacle. BUT it comes up in World Class events as well as in other organization. So knowing how to train this obstacle seems like a good idea.
This is a broad jump. 🙂 It’s made longer or shorted by addition or removal of sections.
How to train, mix and match as needed. 🙂
1. train it using a different command than jump, or not. Depends on dog and how well they can generalize commands.
2. lay a towel on the floor and teach your dog to jump over the towel, transition that to boards.
3. put a section of chicken wire across the broad jump. Apparently the dogs did not like the feel of it and would jump instead of walking over it.
4. teach your dog a command that means JUMP over something not just get over it somehow. Even if it’s just a piece of rope on the ground. Teach a JUMP over command (even if they can just walk over it).
5. Turn the first board on it’s edge so it visually looks more like a jump. Get him to consistently jump over that and then lay it flat again.