Bunnies like and need hay. It gives them something to munch on without getting fat, and gives them fiber to keep things moving along. Both are important for rabbits.
Given a chance though…rabbits will sit in their food to eat it. This results in a fair amount of spoilage.
Hay racks help prevent spoilage.
Here are some pages on either hay racks to purchase or that can be made.
Rabbitweb: how to make a hay rack
Guinea Pig hay rack(works for rabbits too)
ZooPlus has this idea for a hay rack
Other ideas that I have heard.
- Use a toilet paper roll, or any roll that is paper and stuff it full of hay.
- PVC piping…either leave it whole and cram the hay in, or cut it in half and mount up high on the cage
- place hay on the top of the cage so they need to pull it through
- use leftover cage wire to make a basket
- use soup or mushroom cans…carefully filing down sharp edges – put hay in them fairly tightly
- wrapping the hay around itself and suspending it from the cage roof
- using hay balls that you can get at pet stores