Dog Food Reviews by Brand

These reviews can be found here.

Seems a fairly comprehensive reviews of a whole host of dog foods.    Many that I have never even heard of.

They go through the ingredient list, help explain what the different ingredients are and give each type of dog food a rating.

For those who feed kibble you may find it valuable.

Advertisements

Cocoa mulch warning

Please share this with all the pet owners you know and ask them to do the same – the information you take a few minutes to share might prevent the senseless loss of other pets.

Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don’t have a pet, please pass this to those who do. Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn’t acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Half way through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company’s web site,  this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by a variety of companies, and it has been shown  that “It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won’t eat it.”

*Snopes site gives the following information.

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold in a variety of places including Rona, home hardware and other Garden supply stores contains a lethal ingredient called ‘Theobromine’. IT IS LETHAL TO DOGS AND CATS. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred.

Theobromine is in all chocolate, especially dark or baker’s chocolate which is toxic to dogs. Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, axanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of theobromine.

Emails of this sort are circulated every year.  names/dates/company names change.  BUT it is basically true that if you use cocoa mulch, be alert that some dogs will munch on it and potentially consume enough that they will have a negative reaction to it.

Dog stayed with Owner

dog stayed by owner’s side.

Through the last six years of his life, Parley Nichols, 81, never left his Hartville, Ohio, home without his dog Lady. The two were best friends, soul mates and constant companions who took care of each other.
So when Parley, who had developed dementia, went missing on April 8, it was no surprise that Lady, his 6-year-old golden retriever that he bought as a puppy, was also gone.

“Dad had been wandering around, and we kept looking for him for a solid week, sending out flyers, doing whatever we could,” Terry Nichols, one of Parley’s two sons, tells PEOPLEPets.com. “With his dementia, he would struggle to hear you talk to him, then four hours later he seemed okay. We were very worried.”

Finally, a neighbor called saying someone had driven by a field outside of town and heard a dog barking, trying to attract attention. But when Nichols and other family members drove to the area, they found nothing.

“When we went a second time to a different place by a creek, we found Lady and my dad, who was already dead,” Nichols tells PEOPLEPets.com. “Lady was standing by his side protecting him. We are sure that she never left my dad for seven days, staying alive by drinking water from the creek.”

Lady didn’t know what to do when she saw other members of the Nichols family arrive at the scene on April 14. They had to pull her away from her master and place her in the back of their pickup truck.
“I don’t know how dogs perceive things but she knew she had to stay with dad no matter what,” says Nichols. “And she did.”

Lady may not have eaten for a week, but the sturdy dog (who weighed 75 pounds before the incident) was in great condition.
The preliminary autopsy conducted by the Stark County coroner found that Parley Nichols, whose story was first reported by WKYC-TV, passed away from heart failure. He could have been dead for the full week.

With the sad loss of her owner now behind her, Lady has been able to move on. She is living with other Nichols family members in the immediate area, enjoying a similar lifestyle that she had with Parley.

Puppy with a Heart

Subject: [The puppy with a heart]


A PUPPY has been born in Japan with a

large, clear, love-heart-shaped pattern in his coat.
The Chihuahua was born in May as one of a litter to a breeder.
Shop owner Emiko Sakurada said it was the first time a puppy with the marks had been born out of a thousand she had bred.
She had no plans to sell the puppy, which has been named ‘Heart-kun’.
The long-coated male Chihuahua puppy was born in Odate, northern Japan.

_______________ ___________________________________________








TOO PRECIOUS NOT TO SHARERed rose emoticon

Dpg Treats – fish

NOT my own recipe.  Gleaned from elsewhere.

This is my standard dog cookie recipe. After fooling around trying different things over the years, these are the only kind I make.
They’re real easy! Dogs love them!

Ingredients:

1 can of wild-caught salmon or jack mackerel (this is the tall can, probably 1 pound, do not drain) (you could also use an equivalent amount of tuna)
4 eggs
1 cup of good-quality peanut butter (I use natural kind, 100% peanuts, smooth works best)
6 cups of rolled oats (put in a blender, grinder or food processor and grind them up quite fine)

Pour the contents of the can of fish into a large bowl, breaking it up into flakes with a fork. Add eggs, stirring them into the fish to mix well. Add the peanut butter, mixing till well blended. Then add the
oats and mix the whole batch well. If it seems too wet or sticky, you can add more oats to firm it up. You should be able to handle it without it sticking real bad to your hands.

Now, divide the dough in two and put half of it on each of two large square cookie sheets (do not grease the sheets). Pat the dough down evenly to cover the whole sheet; it will be about 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick.

Next step is very important! Using a knife or the edge of a metal  spatula, score the flattened batter into square cookies…I have small dogs and make my cookies about 1″ x 1″, and get about 150 cookies from
a sheet, or 300 for the two sheets. Just make lines criss-crossing across the length and width of the sheet. By doing this, when the cookies are done baking, they are all cut and ready to eat!

Now put the cookies in a 300 degree oven on the middle and top rack for one hour. After an hour of baking, leave the sheets right in the oven with the oven door closed until they are cool. They will come off the pan easily and break cleanly along the lines where you scored the dough.

These keep well without refrigeration, as they come out fairly crisp.

I have found when making dog cookie recipes that it is best to avoid any kind of added sugar…it just makes the cookies burn, and the dogs sure don’t need sugar anyway. Try to get peanut butter that does not contain sweetener.

You could certainly make this recipe half-size, and you could use round cookie sheets if that’s what you have.